L3

Practice:
First conditional. There are notes and 4 online practice tasks:


Notes from today:
Family life is very important to Asian people.
Traditionally, Chinese people had a strong relationship.
Family life is not as important as before as a lot of people don’t get married and they live alone; they think family life is not important.
In a small family, everyone is very happy and there is more time to communicate because there are fewer people. Everyone can fit into one car and go on holiday together!
Having a small family means you spend less money. However, the number of children in a family is decreasing – families are getting smaller.
The child can be more mature and look after many family members.
Having a small family means less people to play with and there is less excitement!
Having a small family means there are fewer people to help/ fewer personal relationships.
In Japan, big families are very poor. In Japan (only) the family can broadcast a TV programme on “Big Daddy!” if they have 14 children. The mother in a big family must be very strong to give birth to 14 children.
Having a big family means you have lots of support. 

First conditional:
If it rains today,                    I will cancel my plans.
     Possible: future                 result
If I eat 10 ice-creams, I will definitely have a stomach ache!
     Possible: future                  result
If I pass my English test next week,   I will be glad.
      Possible: future                                      result 

If  it rains today,                   I will cancel my plans.
If + subject + present tense            ,           Subject + WILL/ WON’T + infinitive
If it doesn’t rain today   ,  I won’t cancel my plans.
If it doesn’t rain today   ,  I will go to the park.
I will cancel my plans if it rains today
      I’ll  cancel my plans…

0: Before I leave home, I always eat breakfast = 0 conditional – always true
If you heat ice, it melts.
If + present tense,   present tense    (NO will)
________________________________________________________________
1st: If I am late for class, ……I will be upset : possible future
                                                                                                Likely
If I don’t study hard, I won’t be promoted (present passive)
If + present tense,   WILL/ WON’T + Inf
____________________________________________________________________
2nd: If I were/was a boy, I would ….. 2nd conditional = unlikely/ impossible things (unreal time)
If I were an animal, I would be a lion!     If I had a baby, I would call it Motoko!
If + past tense,    WOULD/ WOULDN’T+ inf
*If it rains, I’ll go home   If it rained, I’d go home
_________________________________________________________________
3rd:
If I had stayed in Japan, my English wouldn’t have got better. = past regrets/ changes
Shunsuke didn’t stay in Japan         , he English did improve
If + past perfect      ,  Would/ wouldn’t + HAVE + pp/ v3

No comments:

Post a Comment